Wednesday 8 July 2009

Trying to Watch Watchmen



Heads up! Despite some smug assurance to the contrary, it has become apparent that Paramount Home Video have no present intention to release Zack Snyder's Director's Cut of Watchmen on DVD or Blu-Ray in the UK. The Blighty issue, due July 27th, contains the theatrical minting of Mr Snyder's adaptation only. The reasoning behind such a move is unclear: perhaps extended editions were not covered under Paramount's European distribution deal? Or perhaps they're just completely incompetent? Also excluded from our BD pressing is a bleeding edge video-in-video commentary track, featuring all manner of medium defining gee-whizzery. Ho hum. Luckily for the import minded consumer, the US Director's Cut publisher Warners have a long standing aversion to assigning Blu-Ray region locking. May such practices continue!

6 comments:

WJC said...

The DC guy (Bob Wayne?) said the directers cut/ box set/ bloopers etc, might/would be out here at christmas.
He said this at the Bristol Comic thing, no idea how likely that is.

Chris Ready said...

Ah! That makes sense. Thanks for the tip dude.

Anonymous said...

Wait... you want the movie to be longer?

Chris Ready said...

Call it morbid curiosity.

Gary said...

I watched it, it doesn't improve jack shit. All the problems the film has still remain. Again I didn't hate it, I just felt nothing...

...I guess a bit like Public Enemies actually! But at least that was truly experimental.

Chris Ready said...

I've managed a catch about the first half an hour or so, the additions so far aren't much to speak of, just scene run-ons and violence inflections. I was hoping for more Ozymandius, but it doesn't look like I'll get my wish.

Not seen Public Enemies yet, that's passed me by a bit. I've been hearing mixed to negative. Was the DV shooting a distraction for you? I can't imagine caring much to be honest. I don't see how it's any more anti-period than shooting in colour.