Thursday 21 June 2012

CRUNCH! THWACK! CRACK!



Liam Neeson's back mangling Europeans in Taken 2. The principle appeal of the original Taken seemed to be seeing Neeson's softly spoken Dad demonstrating a lethal lack of patience with his daughters kidnappers. Sure, in the opening minutes he was talking some shit and going through action motions, but by the end he was brutalising dinner party acquaintances and braining men with only vague links to his enemies.

My memory may be muddled on this, but I distinctly remember a scene in which Neeson stumbled across a chauffeur minding the big bad's car and, rather than sneak past him, Neeson (I keep saying Neeson because who gives a shit what his character is called) grabbed the guy's head and bounced it off the vehicle before teasing the car door open just far enough to slide the concussed chauffeur's head in and mush it. I loved this scene because I have no memory of this guy being a credible threat to Neeson. I don't remember there being any form of weapon set-up at all. I'm not even 100% sure he was even meant to be the baddy's driver.  He was just some chap unlucky enough to be in Neeson's eye-line at the exact moment he stopped giving any fucks what-so-ever. Thankfully, this looks no different.

No comments: